Kelly Howard wins Class ’05 president

Kelly Howard was elected Class of 2005 president Wednesday night, capping off the runoff elections for Class of 2005 officer positions.
Howard received 420 votes, or 55 percent, against opponent T.J. Waller, who received 346 votes, or 45 percent.
“I think this is an amazing accomplishment and I think we both worked equally hard for this,” Howard said.
Howard said she exhausted herself by campaigning to the point of cutting class for two days to catch up on sleep.
Howard said one of her objectives is to ensure that Aggie Bonfire 2002 is a success.
“I really want to work on Bonfire,” she said. “It really means a lot to me. In my whole life I’ve only missed four and, one of my friends died in 1999.”
In the contest for Class of 2005 vice president, Tommy Slocum Jr. won in a landslide, receiving 618 votes, or 82 percent, against Precious Atlas who received 134 votes, or 18 percent. Slocum attributed his success to his personality.
“In my campaign I stressed being well presentable and I like to think I go out and give a good impression,” Slocum said. “I don’t like to be fake.”
Atlas won a Senate seat last week and will serve in that body.
“Right now I’m still in the learning process,” she said. “Last night was our first meeting. After about two or three sessions I’ll know a lot more about the senate and how to get my ideas through.”
Other run-off victors were Jared Grisham for secretary with 67 percent, Christopher White for social secretary with 75 percent and Courtney Fairchild for historian with 64 percent.
“To never have a student body position and to come up to A&M and to have a completely new start definitely puts a light on my day,” White said. “I want to do anything and everything to help fish class council, raise money for the gift, throw socials to unite all 7,000 of us and help all fish class council with their duties.”
The remaining class council position, treasurer, was the only position that did not require a runoff, with Timothy Soeken receiving a majority in the first round.