Kenneth Belden recovers after spring break accident

Photo by File

A GoFundMe has been started to help pay junior Kenneth Belden’s hospital bills that has already raised more than $6,000.

Kenneth Belden, newly elected Senior Yell Leader for 2017-2018 and agricultural economics junior, was severely injured in an all-terrain vehicle accident in Colorado during spring break and has been hospitalized.

According to The Eagle, Belden is currently recovering in a Colorado hospital Intensive Care Unit. Bob Winckler, Class of 1955, left a message on a TexAgs forum that said Belden was air lifted from Lake George to a hospital in Colorado Springs after the incident. Winckler said Belden’s injuries include a concussion, a broken back, three broken ribs, a broken collarbone, a fractured pelvis and a collapsed lung. Belden successfully underwent surgery on March 13, according to his mother Danielle Belden’s recent Facebook post.

Newly elected 2017-2018 Senior Yell Leader and construction science junior Ian Moss said Belden is well on his way toward recovering from the accident.

“He is on the path to recovery to be back within the next couple of months,” Moss said.

Ag communication and journalism junior Johnna Ranae Lee started a GoFundMe account titled “Ken Belden Recovery Fund” on March 15. Lee said she has personal experience with the challenges that come with a loved one being hospitalized and wanted to do what she could to help the Belden family.

“My family has struggled with numerous medical issues and I have seen my fair share of hospital rooms and during an emergency situation like this. I know the last thing I wanted [his family] to be worried about was finances,” Lee said. “I wanted them to be focused on Ken and making sure he was recovering and that we get him back into Aggieland soon.”

Johnna has been in contact with the Belden family since she began the GoFundMe account and said the Belden’s have been amazed by the support they are receiving.

“The biggest thing I want everyone to know on behalf of his family is just how grateful they are for all of the calls texts the Facebook and Twitter messages — everything they have received,” Lee said. “They are completely overwhelmed with gratitude for the Aggie family.”