Know how to party SAFELY

Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights mean one thing for many A&M students – time to party. It is safe to say that there are several parties going on around town every weekend. Women spend hours getting dolled up in their best outfits, guys lather on the aftershave, kegs are bought, trashcan punch is mixed, music is cranked up and everyone is ready to have some fun. Cars begin to arrive, and people start getting wild. Soon, the night is in full swing.
But for some Aggies, there is a thought that dwindles in the backs of their minds – is this safe? Simple steps can be taken to insure the most safety possible without ruining the fun.
Keith Swim is a management and business law instructor at A&M who also runs his own law practice in Bryan. According to Swim, there are several laws that pertain to drinking safely in Texas, and he says that students “should know the laws and obey them.”
Knowing the laws is key to keeping friends safe and out of trouble. Swim said the major law to keep in mind is the “zero tolerance” DWI law. This also is an easy law to follow. Students have numerous resources such as CARPOOL and taxi cabs that they can use to avoid driving home drunk.
Swim said students also should remember that “Making alcohol available to a minor is the same as selling to a minor,” and violating that law could lead to a maximum fine of $4,000 and a year in jail.
Swim suggested, “Before having a party, ask the TABC (Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission) for their suggestions,” and, “have someone check IDs and make sure that no one underage drinks alcohol at your party.” While having only drinkers over 21 at a party does not completely ensure safety, it may cut down the number of unsafe situations that occur during and after a party.
It is important to remember that while drinking, laws do not guarantee that no one will be harmed in an alcohol-related incident, the laws exist to provide as much safety as possible for those who choose to drink, as well as for those who do not.
Another safety issue that students should consider, especially female students, is the issue of rape and sexual attacks. These incidents occur often at parties, and it is important for A&M students to keep this in mind when at a party.
According to Laura Bounds, a health and fitness instructor and self-defense expert, there are many things women can do to prevent such attacks from occurring.
“Girls should always be aware of people they are casually acquainted with as well as strangers,” she said. “Many rapists get to know their victims before they rape them.”
It may seem harmless to meet someone at a party and catch a ride home with them, but it is crucial that women remember that rapists can come in any form. Another precaution girls should take at parties is knowing exactly where their drinks come from and who has handled them.
“Girls should not accept any drinks they do not pour themselves or watch the bartender pour,” Bounds said, “and if they start to feel disoriented or as if they have had more to drink than they actually have, they need to get to a trusted female friend as soon as possible.”
Bounds also said that people should be taken immediately to the hospital if they lose consciousness. Bounds also cautions, “If a girl finds herself with someone she does not trust, she should try to get back to where other people are immediately. She should also be very clear about what her intentions are.”
In the event that a woman is attacked at a party, Bounds advises certain steps the woman should take.
“If a girl has been attacked, she should not attempt to change clothes, shower or clean herself. She should call a trusted friend, her parents or the police immediately.”
A final piece of advice that Bounds offers is, “Girls should limit the amount of alcohol they consume so that they can be continuously aware of their surroundings. They should attend parties with other females, watch out for each other and never leave with someone they have just met.”
Jennifer Jackson, a junior management major, said that she likes to have fun on the weekends, but she knows there are many things to keep in mind when going to a party.
“Don’t drink so much that you don’t know who is going to be taking care of you at the end of the night,” Jackson said. “My friends and I know that someone has to step up and drive because it is more important to know that you’ll get home safe than to have a good time,” she said. “Everything that happened on Sept. 11 really puts things into perspective and forces you to prioritize.”