Aggies a win away from Women’s College World Series after 6-5 victory over Longhorns

Legacy admissions a form of racism

In response to Jan. 20 columns and mail call:
After reading the editorials and the several mail call responses regarding the end of legacy admissions at A&M, it seemed to me that the obvious flaw with a system that gives an advantage to legacies was being overlooked.
For those with a short memory, the admissions system in place here until the spring of 1964 (40 years ago this semester) was one of legal discrimination. One hundred percent of all black students who might have attended were not admitted. A legacy admission policy essentially continues that system of racial disrimination because the children and grandchildren of those who were legally discriminated against by A&M prior to 1964 can not benefit. Likewise, a system of gender discrimination existed in Texas A&M’s admission policies until the 1960s.
Dr. Gates should be saluted for ending this system that, however indirectly, preserves at least a small piece of an era of legal discrimination and hate that needs to die.
The unkind words being directed toward Dr. Gates by some people are missing the point. The idea of legacy preference is not wrong on its surface. Unfortunately, the racist adminstrators at A&M many years prior to Dr. Gates make that the wrong thing to do. To keep legacy admissions alive would be to preserve their legacy.