LGBTQIA+ exhibit now open

Photo by Courtesy of Texas A&M Libraries Cushing Memorial Library and Archives

LGBTQIA+ history is on display in a new exhibit that is available throughout the College Station and Houston areas, with an additional opportunity to view the exhibit through the Cushing Memorial Library and Archives beginning on July 12. 

An LGBTQIA+ history exhibit at Texas A&M is now open to the public to view historical pieces as well as personal stories.
“Coming Out Together to Share our History: LGBTQIA+ Collections in College Station, Houston, and Beyond” will be displayed at the Cushing Memorial Library and Archives until Dec. 16, according to a press release from Texas A&M University Libraries.
The exhibit will feature pieces from The Banner Project and paraphernalia from the Houston bar Mary’s, along with other showcases.
“Cushing Library has drawn from their extensive LGBTQIA+ collections to add memorabilia from various LGBTQIA+ events like the 1993 March on Washington for Lesbian, Gay and Bi Equal Rights and Liberation, a copy of The Intersexes, the first English language defense of the LGBTQIA+ community and other materials from their various LGBTQIA+ collections,” the press release reads.
Programming and outreach librarian Francesca Marini originally suggested the idea for the exhibit, and said she recognizes the positive impact that a collection such as this can make.
“It shows how rich and complex LGBTQIA+ history is, both in the College Station, Houston area[s] and in the country as a whole,” Marini said in the release. “It shows how communities have archived their own history to make sure it is documented and passed onto future generations.”