Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson wins Modern Master Award

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (AP) – Peter Jackson, director of the award-winning ”Lord of the Rings” trilogy, can add another prize to his collection.
The New Zealand native picked up the Modern Master Award – along with a stuffed kiwi – at the Santa Barbara Film Festival on Saturday.
Jackson’s most recent film, ”The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King,” won Golden Globes for best picture and director, and is nominated for 11 Oscars this year, including best picture, director and adapted screenplay.
Sean Astin, who plays the heroic hobbit Samwise Gamgee in the films, introduced Jackson to a sold-out audience at the Arlington Theatre.
Jackson, 42, told stories about making the trilogy adapted from J.R.R. Tolkien’s epic Middle-earth adventure.
He specifically recalled contending with the formidable Ian McKellan, who plays the wizard Gandalf. At one point, McKellan wanted to know why, in
”Return of the King,” he was doing hand-to-hand combat with orcs.
”He said, ‘Why am I hitting these people, and not just blasting them with my staff?”’ Jackson said. ”I told him ‘The batteries have run out.’ He just looked at me and said ‘Right, then.”’