Mail Call – Elephant Walk was not cancelled due to weather

The front page of Wednesday’s paper showed some seniors jumping into Fish Pond “after Elephant Walk was canceled due to weather conditions,” according to the caption. However, we did hold Elephant Walk Tuesday. No official spokesperson for the University came and told us that the walk had been cancelled. We heard through word of mouth that the pre-walk festivities had been canceled due to the rain, but there was never any indication that the walk was itself going to be canceled. However, even if there had been such a messenger with such an indication, Elephant Walk and E-Walk could not have been canceled by anyone less than the Twelfth Man themselves. We held the walk, led by corps seniors playing a sort of circus tune on their few instruments. We were pelted by water-guns and death taunts by the juniors doing their E-Walk. We walked straight through the fountains at H20 park and eventually many jumped into Fish Pond. And we did all this in spite of ominous thunder and sometimes pouring rain. The spirit of the Fighting Texas Aggie Twelfth Man was alive and kicking on that Elephant Walk and no official decree could have stopped us.