Mail Call – United Nations supports U.S. values

I have to correct one gross manipulation of truth: In trying to prove his statement that the United States and United Nations are diametrical Dwyer stated the Universal Declaration of Human Rights maintains that freedoms are “subject to limitations as are determined by law.” An absolute farce of a quotation, because Article 29 reads: “In the exercise of his rights and freedoms, everyone shall be subject only to such limitations as are determined by law solely for the purpose of securing due recognition and respect for the rights and freedoms of others and of meeting the just requirements of morality, public order and the general welfare in a democratic society.”
Mr. Dwyer missed the point, “a right is not and cannot be a right if it violates the right of another” – a foundation of democracy and in absolutely no way antithetical to the U.S. Constitution as he claimed.
The United Nations is not a perfect organization, but neither are we a perfect democracy. The idealism Mr. Dwyer snubbed his nose at was one of the greatest steps forward by mankind to stand for the notion of democracy, justice, and peace. All in all, Mr. Dwyer’s column was an attempt to over-simplify a complex issue and mislead people to support the abandonment of more than 50 years of international consensus building and further isolate our country.
As a nation we need to remember the words, the courage, and the dream of Sen. Fulbright, and redouble our efforts to “dare to think ‘unthinkable thoughts.'”