Memorial held in honor of Veterans from Brazos Valley

The Brazos Valley Veterans Memorial Board hosted a Veterans Day ceremony Wednesday at Veterans Park.

In honor of 100 veterans of the Brazos Valley area, a Veterans Day ceremony was held Wednesday evening at Brazos Valley Veterans Park and Athletic Complex.

The ceremony, hosted by the Brazos Valley Veterans Memorial Board, featured a keynote speech given by Vietnam veteran Michael Beggs, Class of 1968 and former yell leader and Ross Volunteer. The ceremony began with Honor Wall Roll Call directed by Brazos Valley Veterans Memorial Board of Directors’ Bill Youngkin, the National Anthem played by the Aggie Band and a brief history of Veterans Day. 1,100 flags were displayed in Bryan Rotary Field of Valor to welcome veterans and their families entering Louis L. Adam Memorial Plaza.

Beggs discussed a near death experience while serving as a United States Marine. Beggs, who was suffering from potentially fatal injuries, was assisted by helicopter pilot Ed Freeman, despite orders not to help due to dangers to himself and his crew.

“He did what was needed rather than what was permissible,” Beggs said in his speech. “I owe my life to him.”

After the ceremony, retired Lieutenant General of the U.S. Army Randolph House Day gives people an opportunity for reflection in the midst of busy lives.

“Veterans day gives I think all Americans a chance to really reflect on the service and sacrifices that soldiers, sailor, airmen, marines, have made to keep this land free,” House said. “Freedom isn’t free and veterans day gives us at least one day a year to slow down and thank our veterans for what they have done for this country.”

Olivia Burnside, U.S. Marine Corps veteran and former Commander of American Legion Earl Graham Post 159, said the annual Brazos Valley Veterans Day Ceremony offers a way for the whole community to honor Veterans.  

“This ceremony allows one common spot in the community to come together in a peaceful and beautiful setting as an opportunity to reflect on all of those who have served, not just those who are here,” Burnside said.

To conclude the ceremony Ross Volunteers performed a Rifle Salute followed by the Texas Aggie Band Bugler performing Taps.