Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

Memories for sale

Aggies can now follow in the footsteps of Johnny Manziel and Mike Evans as pallets of Kyle Field’s grass will be available for purchase online starting at 10:30 a.m. Monday, allowing Aggies everywhere to trod the ground of legends.
The Athletics Department will offer purchasing options of 450 square feet of sod for $400 and a single square for $20, but all sales are on a first-come, first-served basis. The grass will not be harvested until Nov. 9, after the last home game of against Mississippi State.
Senior Associate Athletic Director Jason Cook said the current grass will have to be stripped away with the renovation of Kyle Field. The Athletic Department, he said, hopes to sell memories along with the turf.
“They’re lowering [Kyle Field], which will require a new irrigation systems, so we were going to have to replace the grass anyway,” Cook said. “We thought that a lot of Aggies would like to have a piece of Kyle Field turf when they’ve seen so many Aggie football games and memories made. We expect the interest on Monday to be significant.”
Cook said the sale of grass is a part of a bigger discussion among University officials during the Kyle Field renovation.
“When we started the Kyle Field renovation project, we knew there were a lot of items in G. Rollie White that would have sentimental value for Aggies, so we’ve been meeting in committee and we’ve been meeting since early summer about the plan for auctioning off and preserving many items,” Cook said. “Over the summer, the idea of the grass came up in one of our committee meetings.”
Mallory Gibson, freshman business major, said the grass sale is a chance to own a piece of Kyle Field’s legacy.
“Aggie football is such a big deal,” she said. “I think it’d be pretty cool to own a piece of the field if you were a huge fan.”
Cook said the revenue generated from the grass sales will go toward salvaging items that are part of the original G. Rollie White Building and Kyle Field, and funds beyond that will benefit the Athletic Department.