Destination Bryan
Destination Bryan

Destination Bryan
Destination Bryan

Mia Miller named first female Mascot Corporal

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett

Freshman Mia Miller is Reveille’s new handler.

Texas A&M mascot Reveille IX met her new handler Friday afternoon, following an announcement and ceremony at the Reveille Memorial in front of Kyle Field. Mia Miller, biology freshman, became the first female to fill the role of mascot corporal. Her selection follows last year’s gender integration of E-2, the Corps of Cadets’ mascot company.
In front of an audience filled with Ring Day patrons, family members of those in the Corps of Cadets and passerbys, members of E-2 filed in line on the Reveille Memorial and cheered as four cadets did push ups. A few moments later, Mia stood up and hugged Jacob Scroggins, her predecessor as Reveille’s handler, with tears in her eyes. With Rev’s leash in hand, Mia was congratulated by her unit, as she took her place as the first female mascot corporal.
Mia’s parent’s Randy and Rachel Miller watched the event unfold in front of Kyle Field. They said words could not describe the immense joy and pride they felt as they watched the ceremony.
“It is so exciting and I’m so very proud,” Randy said. “To watch Mia do what Mia does, and to be in the position to be the first female handler, it’s amazing.”
According to Randy, Mia did not come to Texas A&M with the intention of becoming Mascot Corporal, but he said he believes the position will assist Mia in achieving her ultimate goal of becoming a Marine.
“She didn’t [come to A&M wanting the position]. She came to A&M on her U.S. Marine Corps contract,” Randy said. “Her goal is to serve her country, and the Corps and Rev just happened to be the facilitator of that dream. What an honor, what a great thing for her to do, to be supported by these guys as she’s getting ready to learn how to lead.”
Randy said Mia found out about her new position at the ceremony, and Scroggins called them the night before to let them know they should come to College Station.
“Officially, she just found out,” Randy said. “Jacob called us last night and told us to come down. [As for Mia’s selection] there was some interviewing … there’s not a lot of details shared, they keep it pretty secret, but they definitely challenge them and try to bring the best out of them.”
Randy and Rachel said watching Mia run around campus and then push on Rev’s grave was hard for them because they could see her struggling, but they both know Mia came out better for it.
“I’m so very proud and yet, watching her do the push ups, it’s just like everything else that she’s done since she’s been here,” Randy said. “In the Corps, you have to let them struggle, you have to let them fight, you have to let them learn, but watching them do it, and succeed, it’s just rewarding. You can’t be more proud.”
Randy added he and his wife are incredibly grateful for the support system E-2 has provided Mia, and consider Mia’s unit to be synonymous with family.
“We are so very thankful for the people in her unit, from her commanders to Gunnery [Sgt. Chad] Parker, just the support that they give her,” Randy said. “Her unit has encouraged her so much. Even when there’s temptations to quit, her unit has stood by her and kept her going. We’re thankful they’ve been her second family when we couldn’t be here.”

• When Reveille is exchanged between handlers, the incumbent and future handler compete in a pushup competition.

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett