MSC hosted 66th birthday celebration Wednesday

MSC+Birthday
MSC Birthday

Students and members of the community came together today to celebrate the Memorial Student Center Wednesday.

University Center & Special Events (UCEN) hosted a birthday celebration for the MSC’s 66 birthday, and marked five years since its most recent renovations.

Free food, prizes and gifts were handed out to attendees in Rudder Plaza as a way to give back to the students and celebrate what the MSC means to A&M, according to UCEN administrative associate director Judy Marrs. 

“We wanted to celebrate the facility because we believe that it has more than just a meaning outside of bricks and mortar but it actually embodies the spirit of Aggies and the people are who make the facility,” Marrs said. “The people give it life and we wanted a way to celebrate the people and say thank you.”

The theme was an “Out of This World” birthday celebration. Renewable natural resources Junior Susannah Saathoff said it was a great way for the A&M community to come together.

“It definitely reflects on the family aspects that Texas A&M has,” Saathoff said. “It’s a lot of people and it just reflects what Texas A&M is all about, coming together to celebrate something we all love and is very dear and close to our hearts.”

Economics junior Chris Lastinger worked a ring toss game for the event and said helping out other students was the best part of the celebration.

“That’s my favorite part, giving out the prizes,” Lastinger said. “I think especially for the younger students to see the school spirit, they see that A&M is nothing like any other university.”

UCEN director Bill Bielamowicz said UCEN is devoted to the A&M student body.

“It’s about students,” Bielamowicz said. “The Division of Student Affairs is exactly what it says. I tell people all the time why would either one of us need to be here if students weren’t?”

Over one thousand students turned out to participated in the festivities. Biomedical sciences freshman Stephanie Thomas said the event’s success is a testament to the A&M community.

“It shows that people are willing to come out and take some time out of their day to feel a part of the community and this campus,” biomedical sciences freshman Stephanie Thomas said. “We are at a big school, and when you see everyone, it just brings happiness to you.”

Marrs said the end of the school year is not only a great time to celebrate the MSC but also give students something fun with finals quickly approaching.

“I think it helps the students during this time of the semester when you are a little stressed out with projects and finals and to be able to have something hosted on campus and for it to hopefully lift their spirits, free their minds even if it is just 30 minutes and play a game to get a prize,” Marrs said. “We want people to know you are welcome, you are included, you are respected and this facility is for you, about you and we appreciate you.”