News In Brief

Developments in terrorist attacks fallout, investigation
* Missiles and warplanes rocked at least three cities as the United States and Britain launch military attack in Afghanistan.
* In a videotaped statement aired after the strikes, Osama bin Laden praised God for the Sept. 11 attacks.
* Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said strikes were designed to eliminate the Taliban’s air defenses and destroy their military aircraft. Officials said strikes will last days or longer.
* Several Muslim leaders in Pakistan denounced U.S.-Britain military attacks in Afghanistan, calling them brutal and unwarranted. Moderate Arab countries are slow to comment.
* United States stepped up already heightened patrols and security precautions. Officials took Vice President Dick Cheney to an undisclosed secure location, step up security around the Capitol and place government nuclear weapons labs on higher alert.
* U.S. Air Force C-17 cargo planes began dropping food and medical supplies inside Afghanistan to aid displaced Afghan civilians.
*New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani said that unless there are specific threats, none of the city’s bridges, tunnels or public places will be closed.
`Standing for America’ shirts will remain for sale this week
Organizers of the Red, White and Blue Out project will continue selling “Standing For America” shirts to raise money for the families of victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on Washington, D.C., and New York City.
The red, white and blue T-shirts were worn at the Sept. 22 A&M-Oklahoma State game at Kyle Field.
Eric Bethea, a RWB Out organizer and a junior finance major, said T-shirt requests from outside the College Station area can be made using the following link: http://www.logocenter.com. T-shirt prices for out-of-town orders will be $7 plus shipping and handling. Shirts sized XXL will cost $9 plus shipping and handling. The Arlington-based company LogoCenter.com will distribute the shirts.
T-shirts can be ordered in the College Station area through Oct. 10 by email at [email protected]. Name, phone number, size and color of shirts desired must be included in the email. Shirts sold in Bryan-College Station will remain at $5.
College Station printers C&C Creations will produce the shirts to be sold locally.
A portion of all sales will benefit the New York Firefighters 911 Relief Fund and the World Trade Center Police Disaster Relief Fund.
Bethea said future fundraising might come from the sale of posters, which will include aerial photos of Kyle Field from the Sept. 22 game, in which third deck fans wore red, second deck fans wore white and first deck fans wore blue. For updates, check the RWB Out Website at www.jaredp.com.