Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Light Middleweight boxers Francis Cristal and Frank Chiu throw crosses during Farmers Fight Night on Thursday, April 4th, 2024, at Reed Arena.
‘One day there’s going to be a ring in the middle of Kyle Field’
Zoe May, Editor in Chief • April 11, 2024

“Throw the 1, follow with the 2!” “Keep your hands up!” “Tie him up!” It was the sixth fight of the night. The crowd was either...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Nipa Hot home cookin’

Nipa Hot has been servicing the spicy needs of Northgate for almost 10 years now, and has become such an institution that former students come back for the memories. “People who ate here during school always come back and say ‘Nipa Hot was a part of my college experience.’ They bring coolers with them and take extra servings home with them,” said owner
Zeny Dockery.
While some business names have obvious sources, I had to ask Dockery where his originated. “It is a play on words. In Thailand, we call rural homes ‘nipa huts’ and since we serve spicy food – Nipa Hot!”
The Bamboo Beef plate has sliced meat sauteed with garlic, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, chilies and coconut milk and, according to Dockery, customers love it. “Almost every dish can be vegetarian, and we don’t mind customizing the order; some diabetic customers don’t want sugar, and some want to keep the fat down by not using any oil. We don’t mind, since we cook it from scratch.”
Bamboo Beef is a best-seller at Nipa Hot, but less adventurous customers can opt for the Beef Basil or the Hot Spicy Noodles. Beef Basil is a great beginner dish, with sauteed beef, garlic and fresh basil.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.; 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday 5 p.m. to 9:15 p.m.
Nipa Hot 101: Dockery wants customers to know: Don’t order the spiciest pepper level. “I see customers come in and order a No. 5 spicy (the hottest peppers) and a pitcher of water, and they suffer through the meal.” The range of spice is from No.0 (no spice) to a No. 5 (red from the habanero pepper) and Dockery says most people order a No. 3 level. “A three is still pretty spicy, but it is closer to what most people are accustomed to with spicy Mexican food.” Even if you crave a soft drink, Dockery says to drink water or tea. “The carbonation and the spices really don’t go well together; your stomach won’t like it.”
Collateral Damage: $$ of $$$$$. Beef Basil costs only $5.25, and 25? for extra rice.
Crowd Appeal: There is an addictive quality to Nipa Hot. It’s a plain building and a plain environment, but the food is spicy and always fresh. Some customers seem to like its healthy nature (most dishes are great for diets), and others like the spicy vegetarian plates. The big draw seems to be the Thai peppers and the occasional friend-to-friend dare to eat a No. 5-level dish.
Regulars Say: Proving Dockery’s point about Aggies coming back, Jack Charles, Class of 2001, said he returns to College Station for “friends, Nipa Hot and Freebirds.” “Living on Northgate, I ate at Nipa Hot with my friends all the time, so going back is like remembering all the fun,” Charles said. He laughs about his favorite memory of Nipa Hot: “A bunch of guys from Hotard went to Nipa Hot, and this one guy insisted that he was tough enough for a No. 5 spicy dish. After a couple hours, he managed to eat the dish, but was sweating so much his glasses fogged up. We never let him forget about it.”