Nonprofits compete for a cause

Photo by Courtesy

The Center for Nonprofits and Philanthropy teamed up with 180 Degrees Consulting to host the Nonprofit Pitch Competition, inspired by the TV show “Shark Tank.”

The Center for Nonprofits and Philanthropy and 180 Degree Consulting at Texas A&M are hosting the first annual Nonprofit Pitch Competition to bring operational strategies together for a good cause.
Five local nonprofit organizations are going to pitch their ideas to judges in a competition based on the TV show “Shark Tank” at the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library on Friday. The winner will receive $5,000. The organizations competing are Aggieland Pregnancy Outreach, Northway Farms, Mission Reclaimed, Big Brothers and Big Sisters and the Down Syndrome Association of the Brazos Valley.
Founded in September 2007 by Nat Ware, 180 Degrees Consulting came to A&M in 2014. Jay Schlaegel, director of external affairs for 180 Degrees Consulting and business honors junior, was in charge of organizing the event.
“The whole purpose of this event is to encourage and reinforce the practice of bringing local nonprofits together to serve the community and build relationships with the students at Texas A&M as well, while creating a better Brazos Valley around us,” Schlaegel said.
The consultancy for nonprofits and social enterprises have spread to over 35 countries with 87 branches and is the only such organization in Texas.
“Last year I was at a conference talking to a sponsor, and it was one of those things where I sat there of how we can bring something together through the university while also combining something with what we stand for and to impact social outcomes together and it all just simply fell together,” Schlaegel said.
Hannah Tarrillion, 180 Degrees Consulting president and supply chain management senior, has been with the organization for three-and-a-half years. Her roles range from consultant to team leader and internal director.
“The qualities that we’re trying to possess in the competition are the ideas that follow our mission statement to achieve operational strategies through high social outcomes,” Tarrillion said.
The event will be judged by sponsors who attend the event, alongside William Brown, professor and director of the Center for Nonprofits and Philanthropy at the Bush School. Event sponsors include JCPenny, Capgemini, Accenture SCC and AT&T.
“The toughest part about having this event put together is reaching out to the corporate sponsors to fund the event, and it all honestly came through in the last few weeks through our GoFundMe pages and other contributions,” 180 Degrees Consultant team member and senior business management consultant Lily Tunnel said.
Tunnel is responsible for the funding and sponsoring the event. She helped gather the applications and proposals evaluated for the competition. Over 30 different nonprofits applied, and the best five were chosen. The sponsoring and funding was set up though a GoFundMe page.
“With this event, you want to see a lasting legacy stick, whether it’s through 180 Degrees, the Bush School or even with one of these organizations competing with their ideas, it’s all about leaving that mark on your work,” Tunnel said.
The competition will be open to the public on Friday, April 20, at the Bush Library starting at 10:30 a.m.