Panel to delve into the life of a Muslim US veteran

The Muslim Student Association will host the “Muslim Aggie Veterans Panel” to bring together Muslim Aggies who have served in the armed forces.

The panelists will discuss the balance between loyalty to Islam and loyalty to the United States. Panelists include Michael Martin, Air Force veteran and Class of 1992, and Nadim Islam, Army doctor veteran and Class of 1997. The panelists will answer questions about serving in the military as a Muslim, and how their faith affects their experience as veterans. Muddassir Tai, education officer of MSA and mechanical engineering junior, says the event is in response to recent Islamaphobia in the media.

“A lot people have this assumption that being Muslim and being an American are exclusive things —  that they can’t go together — which is really not the case,” Tai said. “That is basically the main point that we want to drive home. You can be a good, practicing Muslim and a good American.”

The event will be moderated by Muhammad Usama Ahmad, a member of the Corps Cadets and an electrical engineering sophomore. The event will begin with pre-planned questions for Martin and Islam and then transition to a Q&A session with the audience. Ahmad said he was selected to moderate the panel because of his experience as a member of the Corps and Muslim.

“We’re trying to show people that its not only about veterans, but also other careers,” Ahmad said. “We’re contributing to the United States in many ways, and I think veterans are a topic that is easier to understand for most U.S. citizens.”

Tai said students should come to the event to learn more about the religion, ask questions and learn more about the perspective of Muslim veterans.

“Being Aggies, it is really our responsibility to know the truth about things instead of having biases and going off of what you might have heard or preconceived notions,” Tai said. “Because these veterans are former [students], they know our values of our university and our country as well.”
The panel will begin at 7 p.m. Monday in the All Faiths Chapel.