Parking challenges expected for Ring Day

By Sydney Farris

The Association of Former Students has made some changes to better accommodate Ring Day traffic.

With another Ring Day underway, parking and traffic are of concern for students and visitors.
Kathryn Greenwade, vice president of the Association of Former Students, suggests students make arrangements to accommodate the nearly 30,000 people expected to attend Ring Day this year.
Students should not expect to park at the Alumni Center, Greenwade said.
“The parking in and around our facility is going to be taken by volunteers who are helping us with Ring Day,” Greenwade said. “There will not be parking other than parking for those who have disability needs here as we have spots available.”
Greenwade suggests the West Campus Garage and the free Ring Day shuttle as the best form of transportation.The shuttle will conveniently run from West Campus Garage to the Alumni Center on Houston Street from 8:30 a.m to 9:45 p.m. She also said visitors should be prepared for rain and bring an umbrella.

Deborah Hoffmann, associate director of transportation services, said there is a variety of ways to avoid parking struggles for Ring Day events.

“We strongly recommend parking in West Campus Garage as University Center Garage remains full most of the day on Ring Days,” Hoffmann said. “Avoiding congestion on George Bush Drive will make this the easiest and most stress-free way to get to Ring Day.”
Sgt. Blaine Krauter of the College Station Police Department said College Station roads will function normally on Ring Day.
“In College Station, we’re used to having days like this whether sporting events or other events associated or not associated with Texas A&M,” Krauter said. “There will not be any extra patrols or officers on the street because of the event.”
With a rainy forecast and more traffic congestion, Krauter said these conditions make traffic accidents more likely.
For more information on Ring Day parking, visit https://www.aggienetwork.com/ring/ringday or http://transport.tamu.edu/parking/events/annual.