Parson’s Cavalry: Cannon will stay on field

The close of the regular football season ended with a barrage of cannon fire as senior members of Parson’s Mounted Cavalry shot the Spirit of ’02 for their last time at Kyle Field.
Senior Parks Walker, commanding officer of Parson’s Mounted Cavalry, said the cannon crew is comprised of juniors and seniors, but the juniors maintain, operate and fire the cannon during games.
“Seniors are still on cannon crew but they don’t fire it off,” Walker said. “So, at the end of the last home football game every year, the seniors fire it for the last time on Kyle Field.”
The Spirit of ’02 cannon was on the field instead of the southeast activation tower where it had previously been located.
“It’s a more visible presence and so everybody can hear it and see it, because you couldn’t really hear it on the tower,” Walker said.
Walker said Parson’s Mounted Cavalry members are pleased to have the cannon back on the field as it is more visible when firing, and that even with the construction it will be there next year as well.