Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) throws a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Florida at the NCAA Men’s College World Series semifinal at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Sunday, June 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Aggies defeat Gators 6-0 to advance to first College World Series finals
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • June 20, 2024

There’s always a first for everything.  For the first time in program history, Texas A&M baseball is headed to the Men’s College...

Prep work begins for new classroom facility

Photo by Photo by Noah Simpson

Construction for the new Cain Hall, when be located next to Cain Garage, has interfered with paths located outside the MSC.

The noises of construction have become nearly omnipresent on campus, and the newest source of that noise is just outside the Memorial Student Center at the end of Military Walk.
While the construction is taking place some distance away, the project is prep work for the construction of a new facility next to Cain Garage that will host classrooms. Additionally, the services previously located in Cain Hall — including Disability Services and Student Counseling — will be relocated to Bizzel from their temporary location at White Creek after the building undergoes renovation and reconstruction in the coming semesters.
“I think [final location of student services is] going to be a vital location for the students specifically just because it is in the heart of the campus,” project manager Audrey Rohloff-Ecklund said. “It’s right off Military Walk, so it’s easier access for Student Services, which is huge I think, because right now [students] have to drive over to where they are.”
The project is projected to finish in October 2019 with the goal being for the services to move back into the building and be available for spring 2020.
“We are just waiting on approval from the architects and the construction company,” said Associate Vice President for Student Affairs Tom Reber. “When they set the construction dates, they said 20 to 22 months, and they did build in some days [to account for rain and weather].”
Many departments have been involved in the construction process from the Chancellor’s office to the Division of Student Affairs, and Rohloff-Ecklund will act as the liaison during each phase of the project.
“I’ll be in charge of making sure the architecture team and the construction manager risk team help organize the meetings, making sure they design and build according to the A&M system requirements,” Rohloff-Ecklund said. “With [the building] being on campus and in the heart of the campus I think it will be much easier access for everybody.”
Despite a long wait for some of the services to move back to central campus, Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs Phillip Ray said he is excited for the construction because it represents the growth at A&M.
“I think that A&M is seen throughout higher education as not just a rising star but the star,” Ray said. “I’m just excited about the excellence and excited about leading as Aggies always do in our campus and amenities and services to our students.”