President Young responds to Trump’s DACA decision

Texas A&M University President Michael Young speaking at Aggies United, the university’s response to Richard Spencer’s speech on campus last year. 

The Trump administration announced their decision to annul the Deferred Arrival for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program Tuesday.
DACA, which covered almost 800,000 undocumented immigrants who came to the US as children, was originated during Obama’s presidency. Michael Young, president of Texas A&M, commented on the action this morning.
“I stand committed to statements made earlier this year and last November, that all students, faculty and staff of Texas A&M University are here legitimately, working and/or pursuing their degrees, and that we benefit from their presence in many ways including scholarship and friendship,” Young said in a statement. 
Young went on to say he would like to see a situation in which Congress can allow Dreamers to pursue an education and a better life while still abiding by America’s laws. 
“We know that Aggies take care of Aggies. We are truly blessed to be among the world’s largest and best universities, made stronger still by the students, faculty and staff who join us from countries around the world,” Young said. “Texas A&M University remains firmly committed to our purpose of higher education and those who seek to improve their personal destiny, as well as the destiny of their community, state, nation and the world.”
In response to President Trump’s announcement, the Council for Minority Student Affairs is hosting DACA Awareness week Sept. 4 through Sept. 8, from 12:30- 2:30 p.m. each day in Rudder Plaza. They have a petition against Trump’s movement for people to sign during this time and will daily be posting stories of undocumented immigrants to their Facebook page.
Included in Young’s statement were a number of links for students and faculty which can be found below.
“Helpful student resources:

Helpful faculty and staff resources:

• Email the Employee Assistance Program – [email protected] – with questions or concerns related to employment status;
  • Email [email protected] to request counseling services and/or consult the EAP web page;
  • Bookmark the student links provided above and share with students as needed.”