Rec fee frivolous

Students, former students, and others connected to Texas A&M are commonly referred to as the Aggie family. In times of economic hardship, even the largest of families must remember to live within their means. However, while households around the state are becoming more frugal in these tough times, administrators have demanded a spending spree with the Aggie family picking up the tab.
The Department of Recreational Sports is pushing for an untimely and unnecessary fee increase. Wednesday and Thursday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at campus polling locations and at vote.tamu.edu, students may vote on whether to approve a new $10 per semester fee hike. A&M administrators have taken it for granted for too long that students can bear the cost of every new upgrade, enlargement, expansion or modification they desire.
The proposed fee increase would complement the Student Recreation Center’s current $5 million budget surplus and would go toward expansion of the weight room and Penberthy facilities. Also proposed is a wage increase for student employees and the addition of a full-time coordinator to handle risk-management. Another $10 fee increase is slated for 2006.
While the Rec Center is a nicety for students who use it, the financial viability of educational programs and students should not be jeopardized just to expand an exisiting facility. Maintenance and upkeep are genuine uses of fee money, but neither are at stake without this increase. Every student should exercise his power to be heard by casting a ballot and saying no to frivolous fee increases.