Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 11, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Ring Day run rule
Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • April 12, 2024

It was Ring Day in Aggieland when No. 3 Texas A&M faced off against No. 6 Vanderbilt on Friday night in the first game of a three-game set. The...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Recruits sign letters of intent

After a 4-8 season, Texas A&M football struck back at the Big 12 conference in a strong way on Wednesday when it inked the No. 8 recruiting class in the nation, according to ESPNrecruiting expert Tom Lemming.
Former Burnet high school quarterback Stephen McGee headlines this class, the fourth best quarterback in the country according to recruiting service rivals.com.
Even though McGee may be getting all the buzz, this entire class is something for Aggie fans to smile about.
“Given the circumstances with a 4-8 season, I think (A&M head coach Dennis) Franchione might have done the best recruiting job in the country this year,” said rivals.com recruiting expert Bobby Burton. “He’s always been a very hardworking recruiter.”
The main focus was on the defensive side of the ball where the Aggies signed 13 players, including seven linebackers. Among the seven linebackers are four junior college transfers who should make an immediate impact in bringing the Wrecking Crew mantra back to Kyle Field.
“Going in defensively we felt like we needed to focus on linebackers and defensive ends in particular,” Franchione said. “Aaron Brown, Lee Foliaki, Terrence Smith and Renuel Green are all (junior college transfers) who we feel like can come in and make an impact on our defense with their speed.”
With the transfers of quarterback Dustin Long and running back Derek Farmer, the Aggies needed immediate depth help at both positions. Along with McGee, the Aggies signed quarterback Jordan Chambless from Corpus Christi Calallen High School to shore up the quarterback position behind sophomore Reggie McNeal.
At running back, the Aggies signed Keondra Smith from Tyler Lee High School and Samson Taylor from The Woodlands.
“Samson has tremendous speed,” said A&M running back coach Lee Fobbs. “He possesses the type of speed that can get him on the corner in a hurry and allow him to go the distance. That is something our offense can really use.”
Franchione and his staff also signed five wide receivers, two tight ends, three defensive backs, three defensive linemen and kicker/punter Richie Bean.
“This class touches every position,” Franchione said. “We feel really good about the speed and athleticism of this class. It certainly meets our needs to make us a better football team.”
Click here a complete list of the signees. Get signee bios, stats, pictures and video.