Regents name A&M finance VP

photo by Shelby Knowles The Board of Regents gives updates on student population Wednesday.  

Jerry Strawser, dean of the Mays Business School, got the nod Wednesday to serve as vice president for finance and administration and chief financial officer.
Strawser’s appointment, effective immediately, was approved by the Texas A&M University System Board of Regents at its meeting Wednesday.
The dean of the business school since 2001, Strawser has helped raise more than $100 million for faculty, student and program support during his tenure. The college has also received recognition as one of the top 10 business schools at public universities.
“In addition to Dr. Strawser’s vast experience in academics, he brings a strong financial and business understanding to his role as vice president for finance and administration and CFO,” interim University President Mark Hussey said Wednesday in announcing the appointment. “In this role he will be able to provide management oversight for financial, human resources and operational services in support of the academic, research and service mission of Texas A&M University.”
A proposal for the completion of the Corps Dorm Renovation Project was also approved, which is estimated to cost about $115,000,000. The project will renovate the remaining nine resident halls and construct two Leadership Learning Centers.
The meeting also addressed population and demographic changes at campuses in the Texas A&M University System.
Betty Block, associate provost at Texas A&M-Commerce, said TAMUC ranked No. 20 out of 100 colleges for Hispanic graduate students.
“We are working really hard to recruit Hispanic graduate students and we have been very successful,” Block said.
Sharp also said Texas A&M-Kingsville has a higher number of attendees than it has had in the last decade.