Regents name new crop of Texas A&M System leaders

Photo by Allison Bradshaw
The Board of Regents holds its meeting Thursday in the Bethancourt Ballroom.

Photo by Allison Bradshaw The Board of Regents holds its meeting Thursday in the Bethancourt Ballroom.  

The Texas A&M Board of Regents made a number of key decisions at its Thursday meeting that included the appointment of a new college dean and a new A&M system president.
The Health Science Center and Texas A&M University-San Antonio received a new dean and president, respectively, and several A&M System administrative positions were filled. Regents Awards recipients were also named for their exemplary contributions to Texas A&M.
The board announced Thursday Jay Maddock will be the new dean of the Texas A&M Health Science Center School of Public Health.
Brett Giroir, CEO of the Texas A&M Health Science Center, said in a release that Maddock brings a unique combination of vision, accomplishments, energy and personal qualities to advance the school in achieving its educational, research and service goals.
“We are honored to have Dr. Maddock at the public health helm, training and leading the next generation of public health professionals in improving the health of populations throughout Texas and around the world,” Grior said in the release.
The board appointed Philip Ray as the vice chancellor for business affairs and Therese McDevitt as the new vice chancellor for marketing and communications for the Texas A&M University System.
Chancellor John Sharp said in a srelease that Ray and McDevitt have both already provided tremendous value to the Texas A&M System.
“I’m looking forward to continuing our progress as we work together to make the A&M System the best system of higher education in the nation,” Sharp said.
The board also announced Cynthia Teniente-Matson will serve as the second president of Texas A&M University-San Antonio.
“I am humbled to have been appointed by Chancellor Sharp and the Board of Regents to lead this great university,” Matson said in a release. “The campus has an aggressive growth agenda to meet the research, economic, and workforce needs of the state, nation and world. We will be focused, agile and audacious in our thinking and approach.”
The board also recognized 10 professors and seven A&M System workers for what Board Chairman Phil Adams called significant contributions to the Texas A&M System by granting them Regents Awards.
“The recipients come from different backgrounds and areas of expertise, but the common thread they have is their dedication to their professions and the A&M System,” Adams said.