RELLIS campus offers opportunities to inaugural class

RELLIS
RELLIS

Students interested in attending classes at Texas A&M’s RELLIS campus will be able to receive more information at transfer fairs which will begin this week. The fairs will be feature information and university advisors to help students apply for the fall 2018 semester.
Transfer fairs will take place May 24, June 28 and July 26, allowing future students to review transcripts and talk about degree options. Students who apply for admission at the fairs will also receive an application waiver. In an interview with The Eagle, admissions counselor DeNeetra Walker said the fairs are great events for prospective students.
“This is an opportunity for students to meet with department heads, admissions counselors and financial aid advisers all in one setting and meet everyone who’s really participating in the partnership in one location,” Walker said.
Programs through the RELLIS Academic Alliance program will begin in fall 2018. Each program will create a pathway to a bachelor’s degree in business, health sciences, and other degree fields through Blinn College and other universities in the Texas A&M System.
Walker said the transfer fairs will be a good way for students to get a better understanding of what it would mean to explore and take classes at the newly built RELLIS campus.
“It’s so new, and so many students, when they hear about it, they automatically think about the flagship,” Walker said. “They’re thinking, ‘I can’t participate in RELLIS because I want to go to Texas A&M,’ but they can.”
For the first academic year, the inaugural class of students at RELLIS will learn in Blinn College’s Walter C. Schwartz building. The first building at the RELLIS Academic Complex is scheduled for completion in June 2019. The complex will offer ten new classrooms, group learning and other facilities.
On May 15, the Texas A&M University System announced that the first 250 students to enroll in the inaugural class will receive free tickets to Texas A&M University home football games.
“The RELLIS Academic Alliance gives students an opportunity to get a college degree at a lower cost without leaving the Brazos Valley,” said Texas A&M University System Chancellor John Sharp. “And now the incoming inaugural RELLIS class can attend Texas A&M football games and other sporting events. Welcome to the Texas A&M System family!”
The transfer fairs will take place at the Center for Infrastructure Renewal building on the RELLIS Campus at 1041 RELLIS Parkway, building 8535. The May 24 fair will be from 10 a.m. to noon and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. The June 28 and July 26 fairs are both from 9 a.m. to noon and 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.