Reps introduce bill to find missing IRS emails

Bill+Flores

Bill Flores

Legislation to provide incentives to find missing IRS emails through salary reductions and reward money was introduced by U.S. representatives Bill Flores (R-Texas) and Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) Wednesday.
The legislation would cut salaries at the IRS by 20 percent until Lois Lerner’s lost emails are recovered, according to a press release from the office of Flores. The Legislation would also award $1 million to any individual or group who recovers Lerner’s lost emails and $500,000 to anyone with information regarding the destruction of the emails, according to the press release. The reward money would come from the IRS 2014 budget.
Flores, who represents the 17th District of Texas that includes Texas A&M University, said the bill is intended to put pressure on the IRS in hopes of uncovering the truth behind what Flores calls beliefs-based IRS targeting of conservative groups.
“It seems that each time the IRS has evidence that will either prove with certainty its guilt or innocence, the evidence disappears which both common sense and the law indicate the evidence such as emails must have proved the IRS’s impropriety if not outright crimes,” Flores said in the press release. “It is time the IRS either comes clean, or has a special prosecutor to clean it up. This bill should help in the interim.”