Reveille VIII passes

Reveille
Photo by C. Morgan Engel
Reveille

Former Texas A&M mascot and “First Lady of Aggieland” Reveille VIII passed away at the age of 12 on June 25.
Reveille VIII, who served as the university’s mascot from August 2008 to May 2015, became ill in the early morning on Saturday, June 23, according to a press release from Texas A&M. She was taken to the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences (CVM) Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital for treatment. Once she arrived, she was found to be in pain, and hospital staff helped keep her comfortable. 
According to the press release, Dr. Stacy Eckman, a veterinarian in the Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, said Reveille VIII remained well-behaved in her condition.
“The critical care team and the internal medicine team that cared for her most recently did everything they could to find out what was going on and keep her as comfortable as possible,” Eckman said. “She was quite the lady. I went by to see her Sunday night in ICU and she was just like she always was—just such a good dog. Even sick, she was regal—she just had that air about her.”
During his transition into mascot corporal in 2015, Ian Moss, Class of 2018, took care of Reveille VIII for three weeks. He told The Battalion that the loss of the former mascot is especially difficult for Company E-2, the Mascot Company in the Corps of Cadets.
“Rev VIII served amazingly as Reveille — couldn’t ask for a better dog, more loyal, more loving,” Moss told The Battalion. “It breaks my heart to hear that, but she served her time, she definitely had a great life. I know the company E-2 took great care of her. We’re all mourning her, we’re gonna miss her for sure.”
Like the mascots before her, Reveille VIII will be buried in Kyle Field Plaza on the north side of the stadium. Details regarding her burial have not been announced.