Aggies a win away from Women’s College World Series after 6-5 victory over Longhorns

Rudder complex welcomes new sculpture

Alli Bradshaw — THE BATTALION

Rudder complex became the official home to a sculpture celebrating MSC OPAS’ 40th anniversary on Sunday evening.
The sculpture, named “ADIAGO,” consists of three separate figures — a composer, a ballerina and a small boy playing a recorder. At an unveiling ceremony Sunday, the sculptor, Larry Schueckler, Class of 1975, said the statue captures the essence of movement with each character representing a different quality.
Schueckler said now that the sculpture has been unveiled, he wants those who see it to feel inspired to go out and create, learn and discover more about art.
“There’s a progression of style here,” Schueckler said. “With the conductor and the student body and the traditions of A&M, I felt like I wanted to inspire creativity, expressiveness, outward expressions.”
Rachel Fisher, urban planning senior and OPAS Committee Chair, said the statue will now serve as a reminder to campus of OPAS’ mission.
“Basically it is a representation of MSC’s mission which is to enlighten, to entertain and to inspire the Brazos valley and Texas A&M University,” Fisher said.
Fisher said it is exciting to directly have a physical representation of the passion involved with the OPAS community and the arts.
“It’s an honor that we have been so helpful to the community,” Fisher said. “We love serving our fellow Aggies and the Brazos Valley and we love that it’s a passion of the place that we live. We are just so excited that we get to have this physical embodiment of what the community values, the arts are so important and we are just so glad they are coming in in full force.”
Anne Black, executive director of OPAS, said having so much support for OPAS within the community is exciting.
“It feels great to have OPAS represented outside the venue where we have been bringing wonderful things for the students and community for 42 years,” Black said. “I think it represents art and the fact that art happens in this building, so when people come into the building they can see three figures that really represent performing arts.”
Schueckler said the sculpture holds an important lesson for everyone.
“The child – the future. You’ll notice the two adults, their eyes are closed, Scheckler said. “But [the child’s] are wide open, he wants to learn learn learn and being an establishment of education I think that it’s important we don’t forget that you don’t ever know everything.”
Fisher said she hopes the statue will inspire visitors to excited about the arts.
“We hope that people who are visiting the campus or students, or community members alike will see it and get them excited about the arts and about what MSC OPAS is doing for our campus and our community,” Fisher said.