Run for the Ring 5K to award five Aggie ring scholarships

Photo by Courtesy
Run for the Ring 2015

Students will run for Aggie gold at the annual Run for the Ring 5K this weekend for the chance to win one of 5 class ring scholarships.
The 5K will be Sunday, March 5 at 9 a.m. with the scholarships randomly drawn after the race. Two scholarships are awarded to males and two to females with the remaining scholarship chosen at random. Traditions Council started the race in 2005 and raises money for two scholarships while the Association of Former Students donates two. In 2015, Traditions Council also raised funds to establish the Traditions Council Endowed Aggie Ring Endowment in Memory of Patrick H Alexander, Jr. Class of ’89, which is used for the remaining award. 
Ring Scholarship Committee Chair and international studies junior Joseph Gentry said the race is a new approach to earning award money.
“It’s different than just applying for a scholarship,” Gentry said. “Anyone can win, and I think that it is just a good event that everyone on campus should know about.”
Last Sept. the first winner of the Endowed scholarship, community health senior Rebeca Cabrera, said she would not have gotten her ring had she not won the award.
“It was really humbling to see how God provided because I didn’t have enough money for it,” Cabrera said. “When I got it, they spelt my name with two Cs and I only have one so I thought I didn’t get it. Then, they emailed me, and I just couldn’t believe that I got it because what are the chances of me getting it.”
Gentry attended Cabrera’s Ring Day ceremony and said the opportunity to see how people react and help others get their rings is the most rewarding part of the 5K. 
“All the hard work and dedication and everything you put into it really pays off,” Gentry said. “The hard work you put in today, the hard work you put in for the last six months will all pay off in the end when we give away those Aggie ring scholarships.”
Kathryn Greenwade, Vice President for Communication and Human Resources at the Association of Former Students, said participating in the 5K demonstrates the Aggie spirit and what it means to give back to the community and other students. 
“Run for the Ring is an event that helps to perpetuate tradition, provides a tangible benefit to the five Ring certificate recipients and a time of fellowship for all participants,” Greenwade said. “It also provides a lasting impact to the Aggies who will benefit from the Traditions Council Endowed Aggie Ring Scholarship for years to come.” 
Cabrera said when she won her scholarship many of her friends and family showed up to the event to support the her and the event.
“I think it unites the campus because I also had a lot of friends that decided to run this race,” Cabrera said. “People brought their families to run the race and I just feel that involves a lot more than just the people that are usually there like the students.”
Gentry said he hopes students who receive the scholarships now will eventually give back to provide for another Aggie to receive their ring. 
“I think that what really stands out to me is I know that people who win Aggie ring scholarships today will pay it forward eventually,” Gentry said. “I think it’s the Aggie spirit that really drives us and is something really special.”