Spring’s first star party to be held outside Sbisa

The Mitchell Institute’s star parties are held throughout the semester on campus to give students a glimpse of the cosmos.

Star gazers can gather to enjoy the night sky Tuesday outside Sbisa Dining Hall at the first “star party” of the semester.
Campus star parties, hosted by the A&M Mitchell Institute of Fundamental Physics and Astronomy, bring together expert and amateur stargazers to observe and discuss space and the universe.
Jennifer Marshall, assistant professor in the Physics and Astronomy Department and founder of the A&M star parties, said she enjoys the learning opportunity star parties provide people.
“I really enjoy just giving people the opportunity to look through a telescope for the first time, and also being there to explain the science,” Marshall said. “It’s not just the pretty picture that we are interested in, we are interested in why that’s important scientifically.”
The star parties started as a way to promote the newly founded Physics and Astronomy Department, however Marshall said they have now evolved into a fun event where the public can experience and learn about what astronomers do.
“Now what we do is basically a similar idea, though everyone knows we are here now,” Marshall said. “We try and encourage people that walk by on the street that astronomy is cool, it’s a fun thing to do, and we do science at the same time.”
Anyone interested in star gazing can partake in the star party from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday outside Sbisa.