Sharp elected student body president

Amy+Sharp
Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker
Amy Sharp

Amy Sharp, management junior, will serve as Texas A&M’s student body president for the 2018-2019 school year.
Sharp’s policy goals include increasing funding for residence tutoring, supplemental instruction and academic scholarships, improving student physical and mental health and improving student inclusion in organizations and traditions. She has served as the Class of 2019 president for the past three years.
Sharp won the election with 66.03 percent of the vote. She will take office on April 21 after current SBP Bobby Brooks completes his term with a speech at the campus Muster ceremony.
Sharp described her reaction in three words — “Overwhelmed, shocked, excited.”
Moving forward, Sharp said she is focused on implementing the policies she campaigned on.
“Immediately it’s going to be right to academic improvement, increased inclusion and improved access to mental and physical health services,” Sharp said. “First thing is the mental and physical health services.”
Sharp said she is grateful for all the people who backed her during the campaign.
“Thank you to everyone that was here tonight and everyone that’s supported me this whole time,” Sharp said. “Again, just so moved. First time in my life I’m crying happy tears.”