Short, cook-off classic highlight first yell weekend festivities

Actor and comedian Martin Short will headline the 2002 First Yell scheduled for Sept. 20 at Reed Arena, the night before the second home football game.
“Every year we attempt to find a big name comedian because comedy is so different compared to music groups,” said Rusty Thompson, assistant director of the Memorial Student Center (MSC). “We want someone who appeals to the current generation of Aggies as well as former students, but who is also clean and not rated R or X.”
Thompson said Short met all the criteria and was available, making him the best choice.
Short is widely known for his comedy on “Saturday Night Live,” as well as starring in several movies including Three Amigos, with Steve Martin and Chevy Chase and in Captain Ron with Kurt Russell.
Opening for Short will be Mark Curry, who has performed stand-up comedy all over the country and is best known for his starring role in the television sitcom “Hanging with Mr. Cooper.”
Three student groups will also perform prior to Curry and Short. They include the A&M Singing Cadets, Kappa Alpha Psi and Percussion Studio.
Kicking things off Friday afternoon will be a weekend warm-up lunch with free food, games and a live band, Thompson said.
The weekend will also include the Cook-off Classic BBQ on Saturday, which will feature former and current students who will cook brisket and sausage all night in preparation for the event.
“There is going to be lots of barbecue out there, and it will be all you can eat before we go and beat the hell outta Virginia Tech,” said junior yell leader Tim Bailey.
First Yell began four years ago as a way to start the Aggie football season with a weekend of activities leading up to the first Yell Practice.
However, due to classes beginning on the Monday, Sept. 2, following the first game this year, First Yell will be held prior to the second football game.
“There is a big Aggie joke about how Aggies do first things second,” Thompson said. “But we wanted parents to come back and it gives us three weeks to promote the weekend.”
Tickets will go on sale beginning Aug. 19 through Ticketmaster, but from now until Aug. 9 a form is available online at http://yell.tamu.edu that students can fill out and mail back to the MSC Box Office to reserve their seats before they are available on Ticketmaster, Thompson said.
Thompson said that he expects a sell-out crowd of 8,000 similar to last year when comedians Bill Engvall and Jeff Foxworthy performed.
“Each of the comedians’ managements say they are very excited about performing for 8,000 people and are familiar with this kick-off event,” Thompson said.