Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Southside Commons fully open after two-year renovation

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

The commons is once again fully functioning after nearly nearly two years of construction.

After nearly two years of construction, residents of the Commons will once again be able to enjoy all the facilities have to offer, including the recently opened dining center.
Students will have access to the all-you-can-eat style restaurant in the new dining area that includes options such as all day breakfast, home-style fare and even vegan and vegetarian options.
Chartwells Director of Marketing and Guest Experience Courtney Bryant said the dining options at the Commons will provide a great way for students to gather and feel at home.
“The Commons is referred to as ‘The family room of Texas A&M’ and our dining area will serve as the kitchen of Texas A&M, which tends to be the heart of any home,” Bryant said. “For this reason, we are excited to give students a place to gather, have conversations and share ideas while having a first class dining experience.”
Chemistry sophomore Danielle Burget lived in the Commons last year as a freshman and is now a resident advisor in the newly remodeled facility. Burget said she tells her residents to take full advantage of the new renovations because she didn’t have the opportunity to do so her freshman year.
“I talk to my residents every day to go to the Commons since it is open,” Burget said. “It is just so convenient and you don’t have to walk as far and feel safe when out studying.”
The Commons lobby opened in April, but this is the first time the entire facility is open to residents.
“We had some students take advantage of it in April, but to have some students come back in the fall semester and take full advantage of it, it is really great to see,” Dan Mizer, senior associate director of residence life, said. “I think anytime you have a place where students can feel like it is their home or they can come together and meet other Aggies, I think it is great for the A&M community.”
Computer science freshman Ryan Stalder, a resident of Mosher Hall, said he is excited to use the dining options so close to his dorm.
“I am most excited about having the dining hall right in my basement,” Stalder said. “I can just come down in my pajamas in the morning, grab some breakfast and start my day.”
Burget said the convenience of being so close to food and study spaces is something she wasn’t able to experience last year.
“During the winter months here last year, the closest food was the MSC,” Burget said. “The most different part is you have somewhere close to eat.”
Students are already frequenting the Commons before classes have even started, and Mizer said he is excited to see how students continue to respond to the new space.
“It does my heart good to see students using it,” Mizer said. “I’ve told people over the years the commons is the second busiest place on campus for students besides the MSC. It’s just great to have it open after a couple of years.”