Standup comedy act to challenge Muslim stereotypes

Laughter and personal anecdotes will allow Texas A&M students to challenge prejudice and step into the life of an American Muslim during “Breaking Stereotypes” with Muslim comedian Azhar Usman.

Through laughter and personal anecdotes, comedian Azhar Usman will urge Texas A&M students to challenge prejudice and step into the life of an American Muslim Tuesday night.

Usman will perform his standup comedy act, titled “Breaking Stereotypes,” in an event hosted by MSC LT Jordan Institute and the Muslim Student Association. Usman’s performance will focus on his experience with being stereotyped throughout his life and learning to fight those misconceptions.

Usman has done comedy tours around the United States in the past, collaborated with comedian Dave Chappelle and performed at comedy festivals like “Allah Made Me Funny.”

Marissa Salazar, psychology senior and director of on-campus programming for LTJI, said the program is meant to discuss an issue in a less serious fashion.

“He uses comedy as his way to combat the negative stereotypes and Islamophobia that is present in the United States,” Salazar said. “He’s drawing from his personal experiences and what he’s seen. He is very knowledgeable of that comedic approach.”

After Usman’s comedy routine, the second half of the presentation will involve a panel of American Muslims from the community and a Q&A between Usman, the moderator, associate professor Rebecca Hankins, and the audience. During this portion, the panelists will discuss their experience going to college, living in College Station and their overall experience as Muslims.

Salazar said the program is important for the Muslim and non-Muslim community since it has a more positive tone, contrary to that of a lecture or workshop.

“I think it’s so important to have programs that are representative of your people that isn’t completely negative and is put on by your own community for your own community,” Salazar said. “For the non-Muslim community I think it’s important to have a different approach to the stereotypes surrounding the community.”

“Breaking Stereotypes” will be in Rudder Theatre from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday evening. Admission is free to the public.