Student Media takes home 34 TIPA awards

Texas A&M Student Media took home 34 awards from the Texas Intercollegiate Press Association competition held this weekend in Dallas. 

TIPA holds annual competitions and contests between collegiate student media including newspapers, yearbooks, radio and television. The competition judges publications and outlets on categories, including articles, columns, page design and photography.

The Battalion, the student-run newspaper at Texas A&M, won 17 awards total, including nine first-place awards — more first-place honors than any other university in Division 1. “The Aggieland,” the student-run yearbook at Texas A&M, won 17 awards total, including five first-place awards and first place in the overall excellence category.

“We are actually one of the most decorated collegiate yearbooks in the nation,” said Hannah Fenske, former editor of “The Aggieland.” “We spent countless hours in the office throughout the entire summer working on this book so the school year could be documented … The awards are a nice touch. It’s good to be recognized for our work.”

Aimée Breaux, applied mathematical sciences senior and editor-in-chief of The Battalion, said the competition allows The Battalion to showcase A&M as well as the talent of staff members. 

“At The Batt we’re really proud of the work that everyone has done, and I think the quality of the work is reflected in the fact that we’ve done so well in this state competition,” Breaux said. “But no one comes into the office thinking, ‘Let’s make a paper that will win an award.’ We come to the office thinking, ‘Let’s make a paper that’s going to serve our readers.’”