Student Senate kicks off spring semester, talks transportation, excused absences

Ongoing efforts to improve transportation to the White Creek student services location were among the topics discussed at the first meeting of the semester of the 69th session of Student Senate. 
 “The Student Services Transportation Bill”, written to advocate for the optimization of transportation services and options, was presented and later tabled with the intent to revise. 
 Finance junior Alan Hernandez’s “Interview Absence Fairness Bill” was passed without opposition, a bill which would work to to modify penalizations against students interviewing to seek internships, professional jobs and/or graduate school seats as means to further develop their educations and careers. 
 Because interviews and engagement with corporate and institutional recruiters is often required before employment and higher education, the bill’s purpose is to prevent penalizing students with unexcused absences due to professional and educational interviews.
 With a mind for eco-friendliness, political science junior Jasmine Wang introduced the “MSC GrabNGo Compost Labels Bill” to request labels on GrabNGo food products sold in the MSC to notify consumers that the products are made of cornstarch-based, compostable material. 
The labels for GrabNGo food products are printed on the Texas A&M campus and can be easily adjusted to create awareness of compostable products, Wang said. Designated eco-friendly containers can contribute to an increase in end user compliance and allow for improvements in the compost-sorting process. 
Student senator and economics junior Olivia Krog was also confirmed as the new director of the Sexual Assault Sub-Committee.
A full recording of the senate meeting can be found on the Student Senate YouTube page.