Student Senate looks into scantron vending

Texas A&M’s Student Senate is considering the installation of two scantron vending machines on campus through a partnership with Barnes & Noble.
Fernando Sosa, southside student senator and rules and regulations chair, said there would be no student fees used in the purchase of any scantron vending machines if the idea moves forward.
“Barnes & Noble will purchase the machines so we don’t have to use any student fees, and student government decides where they will go on campus,” Sosa said. “Student government will also be responsible for collecting the money from the machines.”
Sosa said the money collected by the vending machines would go to the SGA endowment fund. The money would also be used to buy the scantrons and supplies needed to stock the machines from Barnes & Noble at a discounted price.
Several locations for the two machines are under consideration. Sosa said a building with 24-hour access such as the Koldus Building lobby or the machine kiosk by the Pavilion would be ideal, and that Student Senate is seeking student input on possible locations.
Junior university studies major Donald Ashburn said scantrons can be hard to come by during test or finals week but are otherwise fairly easy to find.
“I would use [a scantron vending machine] if it was not any more expensive and it would be useful in the Commons, where I always get mine now, but also if they were in the lobby of the big academic buildings like Wehner, Blocker and Heldenfels,” Ashburn said.