Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) drives to the basket during Texas A&Ms game against Nebraska in the first round of the 2024 NCAA Tournament at FedExForum in Memphis, Tennessee, on Friday, March 22, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
How Tyrece Radford can catch the attention of NBA scouts

After 5 years of college basketball at Virginia Tech and Texas A&M, Tyrece Radford is furthering his athletic career with the San Antonio...

Students raise concerns of racism after tailgate altercation

Photo by Via @theman2by4 on Twitter

A video posted on Twitter over the weekend shows mounted Harris County Sheriff’s deputies surrounding a man in a campus tailgating area following a fight initiated by another tailgater. 

A fight between two men at a tailgate led to intervention from law enforcement and questions of racial discrimination at Texas A&M.
Around 4 p.m. on Saturday, a student took a beverage from a neighboring tailgate, which prompted a man from the tailgate to follow him, grab him by his hoodie and throw him to the ground. According to public statements from bystanders and the Texas A&M University Police Department, the man from the tailgate was unaware that the student had received permission from another tailgate attendee to take the drink. However, accounts vary as to the type and quantity of drinks in question. After, the student was thrown to the ground, the two men began to fight, prompting several mounted Harris County Sheriff’s deputies to separate the men. The mounted deputies were among the many additional law enforcement officers hired by the A&M Athletic Department to assist with game day security, according to A&M Police.
In a video posted on Twitter by general studies sophomore Xavier Maldonado, five deputies are seen surrounding the student after the fight while one deputy speaks to the other man away from the crowd. Maldonado followed the video with a tweet around 7 p.m. that featured a written account of the incident and said the use of five deputies to surround the student while the other man was speaking to one deputy was an indication of racial discrimination.

At 11:08 p.m., the Texas A&M University Police Department posted a series of tweets about the incident. The post said the Harris County Sheriff’s Office Mounted Patrol unit was attempting to keep the student from attacking the other man. The department also said that neither of the men involved in the fight have pressed charges.

This is a developing story and will be updated with additional information as it becomes available.