Texas A&M Athletics – Historical Timeline

1915 Texas A&M football team defeats the University of Texas for the first time, 13-0, in UT’s first trip to Kyle Field.
1920 The men’s basketball team completes its only undefeated season, 19-0, and wins its first Southwest Conference championship.
1922 Texas A&M defeats Centre College in the Dixie Classic, and the tradition of the 12th Man is born.
1926 Jelly Woodman scores an NCAA record 44 points in a football game against New Mexico. Woodman’s mark fell in 1990 but still stands as a Southwest Conference record.
1931 Coach R.G. Higginbotham leads the baseball team to its first Southwest Conference championship. The Aggies finished the season 12-6.
1939 A&M wins its only national football championship after beating Tulane, 14-13, in the Sugar Bowl.
1957 Runningback John David Crow becomes A&M’s only Heisman Trophy winner. Crow was the only Heisman winner under coach Bear Bryant.
1975 Despite not being a fully-funded varsity sport, the A&M women’s basketball season posts a 24-9 record, the second most wins in team history.
1978 The volleyball team posts a school-record 50 wins during a 50-15 season, breaking the previous season’s mark of 46.
1987 After being runner-up the previous two years, the A&M softball team wins the NCAA championship. The Aggies capped a 56-8 season by beating UCLA, 4-1, in the finals.
1989 The baseball team wins 40 of its first 41 games on its way to an NCAA Regional appearance. A&M finished with a 58-7 record.
1993 The women’s soccer team debuts in NCAA Division I-A, posting a 15-3-1 record. After losing its first two contests, A&M finished the season with wins in 15 of 17 matches.
2001 The men’s tennis team has its most successful season ever, advancing to the Elite Eight for the first time in school history. The Aggies finished with a 27-4 record.