Texas A&M partners with UT, Battelle, Boeing for research facility bid

The Texas A&M University System is partnering with the University of Texas System, Battelle and The Boeing Company for a joint bid for a laboratory according to a news release from the engineering department.
The two universities and two research companies collaborated in a joint bid to manage Sandia National Laboratories. Sandia is a research lab focused on national security, nuclear science and military programs.The Texas A&M engineering department is looking to aid the program with research expertise and workforce training. M. Katherine Banks, vice chancellor and dean of engineering for the Texas A&M System, said that the combined engineering programs of UT and Texas A&M will help the facility make further progress.
Combined, the Texas A&M and University of Texas systems are among the nation’s largest research enterprises and include two of the most respected engineering programs,” Banks said in a press release. “Both have been involved in our nation’s nuclear security enterprise for decades and are deeply familiar with the personnel, mission and research at Sandia National Laboratory.”
The U.S Department of Energy issued a proposal for management in May 2015. The final requests were accepted on May 18 this year, and is expected to be approved by the end of the year. The budget for the project is $3 billion with $10,000 employees.