Texas A&M students gear up for Big Event

FILE

The Big Event is the largest one day student run service project.

The Big Event is an annual international day of service that originated at Texas A&M as a time to give back to Bryan-College Station community residents.
Job requests opened on Jan. 1. Organization and student sign-ups for The Big Event opened during MSC Open House on Jan. 20 and will close on Feb. 15. On March 30, around 20,000 students are expected to gather in front of the 12th Man statue for early morning activities before picking up their tools and heading out into the community to serve over 2,500 residents of Bryan-College Station.
Both organizations and individuals can sign up to participate. Reese Svetgoff, business honors senior and director of The Big Event, said students and organizations are required to have an organizational leader attend one meeting before the event date. This year, students can also sign up individually with a college or department if they do not have an organization they would like to serve with.
“We’re hoping to see a bit more comradery under the individual sign-ups because when people sign up randomly, it’s kind of hard to make that connection,” Svetgoff said.
Svetgoff said there will be a unique experience for each student who serves in The Big Event, no matter what their assigned resident needs.
“I think it’s kind of our way of showing the community and the nation that service matters to us,” Svetgoff said. “We have 2,500 unique service projects, and each student has a different experience, so I just think that’s one of the coolest things about it.”
On the day of The Big Event, students will have their group leader sign in. After that, students can spend their time at various events held near the 12th Man statue before going to pick up the tools required for their service projects.
“We do a huge kickoff ceremony,” said Brayden Petroshus, professional program of accounting junior and Big Event recruitment executive. “There, we have a DJ, a guest speaker that is yet to be named this year, and tons of companies come in and bring their products to promote food, magazine companies, whatever it might be. But really the goal of that is just to get everyone pumped up for the day — get the juices flowing.”
Petroshus said The Big Event is a way for he and his fellow students to do their part in giving back to the community.
“As Aggies, we have a responsibility to leave College Station a better place than we found it,” Petroshus said. “You can do that through small interactions all the time, but Big Event is the tangible way to do that.”
Morgan Bell, university studies senior and financial director of The Big Event, said she has spent an extra year on campus to complete a certificate and is still participating on staff because she couldn’t imagine her college experience without it.
“People should prepare for a great day filled with selfless service and basically just being able to go and meet all the residents,” Bell said. “Be prepared to go and serve and work in whatever capacity the residents need. … Sometimes it’s easy, sometimes it’s hard, but in the end it’s always for the residents, so that’s super important to keep in mind.”
To learn more or sign up for The Big Event, visit bigevent.tamu.edu.