Thanksgiving Yell Practice moved to midnight

Midnight Yell for the LSU game will be held at midnight Nov. 27 instead of its usual pre-Thanksgiving time of 8 p.m.
Patrick McGinty, head yell leader, said the time was changed when the yell leaders realized the 8 p.m. time, which has been the allotted time for the yell practices on Thanksgiving eve since 1999, conflicted with a home women’s basketball game.
“As yell leaders, we’ve made the commitment to be at all home women’s basketball games,” McGinty said. “In an effort to honor that commitment, the decision to move yell practice to midnight was made. By doing so, we’ll be able to lead yells at the basketball game and have a great yell practice before LSU,” McGinty said.
McGinty said the yell practice time will only be changed this year, switching back to 8 p.m. for the 2015 Thanksgiving game.
“The 8 p.m. start time has allowed for football team participation at yell practice in the past. If it were held at midnight, this would be impossible due to their pre-game curfew,” McGinty said.
The change in time allows members of student bonfire, which are scheduled to begin the bonfire burn at 8 p.m., to attend the event. McGinty said student bonfire in no way influenced the decision, although he is happy that people will have the opportunity to attend yell practice.
“As yell leaders, our schedule is centered on events that are sponsored by Texas A&M,” McGinty said. “When making the decision to move yell practice we looked at our schedule, and realized there was a conflict with the basketball game. That’s why we made the decision.”
McGinty said he is looking forward to the Thanksgiving eve yell practice.
“The Aggie family and the 12th man love to support their team, so even though it’s at midnight, I anticipate there will be great turnout for this last game,” McGinty said.