The 73rd Student Senate session held on Wednesday night over Zoom

The 73rd student senate session took place over Zoom on Wednesday, March 25.
The first topics they covered were invocations for senate positions. The remainder of the evening was reserved for nominations and elections for speaker of the senate, pro tempore, rules and regulations chair and finance chair. The nominees were asked a variety of questions by the senators and chairs present, including their views on the importance of diversity and inclusiveness in the senate and on campus as a whole. The floor was open for questions to the nominees.
The senate first elected political science junior Zach McCue as speaker of the senate. He said his focus will be on respect in the Aggie community, and emphasizing the need for communication within student government.
Political science senior Hannah Spurr, constituency affairs chair, was the only nomination for speaking pro tempore, and was then officially elected. Spurr said that organization is her specialty, and she wants to make matters for student government accessible and easy to understand for those who need it.
Agricultural economics sophomore Meghan Hein, likewise, was the only nomination for rules and regulations chair and was elected. She said she would like to start her job by introducing elements of student government code in all aspects of future sessions.
Last on the agenda was the nomination and election for finance chair. Ag leadership and development junior John Teague was the only nominee and was elected.
Also during the session, student body president elect, economics junior Eric Mendoza, was officially sworn in as student body president.