The new face of MSC leadership

Photo by Alexis Will

Junior Annie Carnegie has served as the chair of MSC Hospitality, but will now begin preparing to step into the role of the MSC President. Her term will begin April 24.

New leadership will head the Memorial Student Center starting in April as junior Annie Carnegie was selected as the MSC President for the 2017-2018 school year after previously serving as the chair of MSC Hospitality.
Carnegie said one of her goals for the next year is to make the MSC an inviting place for students regardless of their involvement with MSC programs.
“One of my largest goals for this year will be to create an environment of diversity and inclusion within the MSC where people within committees and people outside committees, just university students, can really feel welcome in this place, a place where they can come and be challenged and learn a lot,” Carnegie said. “With that, it is also my goal to build unity within the MSC committees and build unity across the university as a whole.”
The MSC has 18 committees, and outgoing president and senior Brian O’Hara said Carnegie will do an outstanding job of accomplishing her goals and leading the MSC and the 18 committees.
“I think that she is going to do a really good job at empowering our 18 different committees to put on even better programs for students,” O’Hara said. “One of the most important things for the MSC President is to connect to other student leaders, to help connect to other parts of campus, so more people know about our programs but also so our programs are more aligned with the student body.”
Carnegie said her initial reaction was shock when she found out she was the new president.
“It was something I never expected coming in as a freshman,” Carnegie said. “I didn’t have a four-year plan where I would be MSC president as a senior, but I can’t imagine going out on a better note than this.”
O’Hara will work with Carnegie to set up her executive team until April 24 when she will become the official MSC president.
“It’s honestly a great honor for me to work with Annie over the next two months,” O’Hara said. “I’ll be giving everything to Annie and making sure that her officer team is set up for successes beyond what we’ve achieved this year.”
Carnegie said she is excited for the next year and cannot wait to witness what the student leaders on campus will accomplish.
“I’m most excited to see how the team of people we will have in the MSC, and how the teams of other student leaders are going to excel this year,” Carnegie said. “I think we have the potential to do some really incredible things, and I am so excited and really so honored to be able to work with such an incredible group of people, not only within the MSC, but also across campus.”