The west side falls

75,000 tons of concrete came tumbling down Sunday morning as the west side of Kyle Field was imploded.
The event, which marked part of the second and final phase of the Kyle Field redevelopment project, was attended by Aggie legislators, members of the Board of Regents, various other VIP members of the system as well as member of the community.
“We look back,” Phil Adams, chairman of the Board of Regents, said. “Now we look forward to a new day, a new beginning at our wonderful redeveloped Kyle Field. We participate eagerly this next chapter in our lives as Aggies. It’s hard to imagine when we think back on the countless times that we have walked through these gates into our beloved Kyle Field.”
Chancellor John Sharp said the entire project has been impressive. The crews have remained on schedule, and the budget for the project actually increased from $450 million to $485 million, which Sharp said was thanks to the 12th Man Foundation.
Sharp said the project will be one that Aggies won’t forget any time soon.
“Everyone here will remember this until they put us in the ground,” Sharp said.
The implosion was symbolically ignited by Interim President Mark Hussey, Chairman Regent Phil Adams, Vice Chairman of the Board Cliff Thomas and Sam Torn, chairman of the 12th Man Foundation.
The implosion, which last about 17 seconds, will now be followed by 30 working days of crews removing the concrete from the site, which will be recycled and reused as base for roads across the state.