Tips before you walk the stage this May

Photo by Cassie Stricker

Spring graduation will be held at Reed Arena May 9-11.

Before students headed out for Spring Break, Texas A&M released the dates and times of its upcoming commencement ceremonies on graduation.tamu.edu. Preparing for graduation can involve a wide variety of factors, including finding a hotel, seeking a place to host an event in town or just knowing places to eat in the Bryan-College Station area.
Hotels
Among the 57 hotels in College Station listed online, the lowest price of a room for May 9 begins at  around $75 per night for a two-star hotel at the time of publication. Graduation weekend has caused the prices of hotels to go up in most cases due to the popularity of the ceremonies. Call as soon as possible to find up-to-date rates and confirm that rooms are available at the hotel of your choice.
Arriving at the ceremony  
Start by finding graduation dates and times for the student’s specific college and department. The College of Liberal Arts and the College of Engineering separate their departments into different ceremonies while other colleges graduate as a whole. Ceremonies will be at Reed Arena, located off of George Bush Drive between Olsen Boulevard, John Kimbrough Boulevard and Penberthy Boulevard. Parking will be available around the arena.
With the doors opening approximately one hour before the ceremony, the seating is first come, first serve. Finding seats together when traveling as a large group is not promised, so arrive as early as possible for this option. A clear bag policy will be in effect for all ceremonies and only small clutches will be allowed as non-clear bags. It is recommended for guests to wear business casual attire for the ceremony and for those on stage to wear appropriate regalia, which includes uniforms for those in the armed forces.
Restaurants
There are some restaurants around Bryan-College Station that offer reservations for graduation weekend. Call the restaurant of choice as soon as possible to make a reservation for the lunch or dinner party while adding additional time to plan around the traffic of commencement ceremonies.
Places to visit
While in College Station, there are several places to visit outside of the commencement ceremony. For the history enthusiasts, the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum, the Cushing Library and the Sanderson Corps of Cadets Center offer a variety of educational experiences. For those looking for more recent history and to honor those who passed at the bonfire collapse of 1999, groups can always visit the Bonfire Memorial. The Gardens at Texas A&M University include 27 acres of gardens that are part of research and outreach. For the local experience, Downtown Bryan offers antique shops, local artwork and dining options.  
Student Checklist
Individual students should confirm their graduation information through their Howdy Portal. If there are issues, students can contact the Registrar’s Degree Audit staff. Any outstanding balance must be paid in full before graduation. Outside of the requirements of the student’s degree and payments, most students must purchase a graduation cap and gown and every student has the option of purchasing graduation announcements.