Troop withdrawal, Beto 2020 possibilities and more support for Guaidó: This Week in Politics

White+House
Photo by Cassie Stricker
White House

Trump aims to withdraw troops in both Afghanistan and Syria
In the midst of a 17-year war in Afghanistan, Trump has initiated deliberations between the American envoy Zalmay Khalilzad and Taliban representatives in the hopes of reaching a ceasefire and quelling what seems to be an unending war. According to Trump, Khalilzad has begun drafting documents which agree to remove troops from Afghanistan if militant groups such as Al-Qaeda agree to cease activities in the Afghan region. In a similar manner, President Trump mentioned during his State of the Union address that he will withdraw 2,000 troops from Syria, though he did not offer a concrete timeline for this withdrawal.
Beto O’Rourke set to decide on presidential bid by the end of February
In an interview with Oprah Winfrey on Feb. 5, former Democratic Congressman Beto O’Rourke revealed that he will make a decision on his bid for Presidency in 2020 by the end of this month. O’Rourke has been widely watched following his successful run for U.S. Senate last year, and the El Paso native said his family is the ultimate factor in his decision to pursue the presidency.   
Support mounts for Venezuelan opposition leader Guaidó
Venezuela’s self-proclaimed interim President Juan Guaidó is continuing to amass political support from leaders around the world as four European nations declared their support for Guaidó’s presidency this Monday. Spain, Britain, France and Germany have become four of the 38 nations to back the opposition leader.