Trump’s search for the “biggest stadium in Texas” may not include Kyle Field

Photo by Cassie Stricker

Kyle Field is the largest stadium in Texas by regular seating capacity, capable of accommodating over 102,000 spectators.

President Donald Trump announced Friday that he will be holding a “major rally” for Sen. Ted Cruz this October, taking place in “the biggest stadium in Texas we can find.”

In the hours after Trump’s tweet, many turned their attention to College Station. Texas A&M’s Kyle Field is widely considered the largest stadium in in the state, with an official seating capacity of over 102,000. However, A&M athletics facility rental guidelines say non-athletic rental requests will not be considered for Kyle Field during football season.
Even when the facility is available for rentals during the offseason, the guidelines say the decision to allow non-athletic renters is up to University President Michael K. Young.
“It will be at the discretion of the University President whether non-athletic events are deemed appropriate for the venue and the University,” the guidelines state.
When sizing up the state’s biggest stadiums, Kyle Field’s official seating capacity of 102,733 and record-high attendance of 110,633 make it hard to ignore. However, the home of Aggie football is not without its challengers. The Dallas Cowboys’ AT&T Stadium seats over 100,000 and saw a crowd of 105,121 during the Cowboys’ 2009 matchup against the New York Giants. Looking beyond the world of football, the Texas Motor Speedway has an estimated total capacity of 181,655 — well above what AT&T and Kyle offer.
A&M officials have not commented as to whether Kyle Field is being considered as a location for the rally.