UPD, Corps may begin separate hazing investigations

The Texas A&M University Police Department and the Office of the Commandant for the Corps of Cadets may begin separate investigations this week regarding possible instances of hazing that may involve former Corps Commander John Huffman.
On Tuesday, Huffman, a senior finance major, requested to be suspended from his duties for the duration of the investigation by the Corps.
“An incident the night of Nov. 22 has prompted an investigation into possible instances of hazing on several accounts,” said Huffman in a statement issued last week. “Because of my proximity to the situation and the persons involved, I have asked Commandant of Cadets Lt. Gen. Van Alstyne to temporarily suspend my duties as Corps Commander, pending the conclusion of the investigation.”
A report from the UPD said that on Nov. 22, approximately eight individuals were carrying a duct-taped body horizontally at waist level between Corps Dorms 2 and 4 on the Quadrangle. They were located at Dorm 2 at approximately 9:35 p.m. by UPD officials.
Sgt. Ben Crenshaw with the UPD said the exact date of the UPD investigation is not known, but that it may begin this week.
“I know (the information for the investigation has) been forwarded to the criminal investigation division (of the UPD),” Crenshaw said. “From there they will conduct interviews (and determine) any criminal act that might have occurred.”
Kyle Tobin, a senior electrical engineering major, is the interim Corps commander at this time.
“One of the duties at this time is to fill in the role of the Corps commander,” Tobin said. “I’m just doing my job.”
Tobin said there is a possibility that Huffman will return to his role as commander after the Office of the Commandant finishes its investigation.
“There’s nothing official until the investigation is over,” Tobin said. “At that point in time, (it depends) on what the investigations tell us.”
Charles Glover, Corps public information officer and senior sociology major, said the Corps would not release any information pertaining to the investigation.
“We do not feel that it is appropriate for the Corps to comment at this time,” Glover said.