US Senate candidates: Where they stand

Photo by Photo illustration by Cassie Stricker

Election Day is Nov. 6.

Comparing Cruz and O’Rourke’s legislative achievements and approaches to key issues.

ON IMMIGRATION

Cruz: Supports the construction of a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border, deportation of undocumented immigrants and is opposed to DREAM Act and birthright citizenship. Introduced policy to establish sentencing for those who illegally reenter the country.

O’Rourke: Supports DREAM act, granting citizenship to DREAMers and creating a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants. Opposed to the construction of a border wall.

ON THE ENVIRONMENT

Cruz: Opposed to Clean Water Rule and Environmental Protection Agency restrictions on carbon pollution.

O’Rourke: Supports funding for EPA and U.S. involvement in Paris Climate Accords.

ON ABORTION

Cruz: Pro-life. Opposed to abortion with no exceptions and supports defunding Planned Parenthood.

O’Rourke: Pro-choice. Voted against a bill that would implement a 20-week limit on abortions. Supports safe contraception and family planning services. 

ON GUN RIGHTS

Cruz: Supports the Second Amendment, interstate firearms sales and has an A+ rating from the National Rifle Association.

O’Rourke: Supports the Second Amendment, background checks for all gun sales and restricting the sale of high-capacity magazines. Has an F rating from the NRA.

MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS

Cruz’s hurricane tax relief: Led legislation that granted tax breaks to victims of Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria, which was signed into law by President Trump. 

O’Rourke requires mental health screenings for separating service members: O’Rourke wrote a measure which mandated service members exiting the military receive a mental health exam in addition to their physical exam.

Cruz’s U.S. Commercial Space Launch Competitiveness Act: Was the primary sponsor of the 2015 bill which prevented the federal government from introducing regulation on the commercial space industry for 7.5 years.

O’Rourke’s expansion of veterans’ access to mental health care: Was the primary sponsor of a bill which expanded care for veterans with “other-than-honorable” discharges.

Information compiled from campaign websites and public remarks by the candidates.